Saturday 9 July 2011

Hunting for light


It is that time of year again when I feel very much like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland; the last couple of weeks of school term when things should be slowly winding down, yet seem to instead have so much momentum that I am constantly trying to catch up with myself. One of the ways of keeping myself sane at this time is the delightful Light Hunters e-course, which I mentioned briefly last week. Vivienne’s emails are really igniting my photographic fire and are giving me a different perspective on the way that I take photographs. Until now I haven’t paid much attention to the light, even though  themes of warm light and dancing shadows run throughout my work when I take a closer look. What I love is that her prompts are there to make you think, to make you want to explore the light in a multitude of ways, without being too prescriptive- there is room for much interpretation and imagination. Unfortunately there hasn’t been the greatest amount of sunshine this week, but when there has been a glimpse I captured this shot of the sun setting in my garden. I am not quite sure what that white globe on the left is, perhaps I have a fairy visiting.


such wild love
do you think there is anywhere, in any language,
a word billowing enough
for the pleasure
that fills you,
as the sun
reaches out,
as it warms you
I am currently discovering my love for the poetry of Mary Oliver, she is very much another saver of my sanity. The above snippet is from The Sun.

But even rain has its own special kind of light, it has been great fun looking at the detail of each pear shaped droplet on my window panes. I love the prettiness of the Instagram filters, which add another dimension of atmosphere to my scenes. Although Mary’s poem Rain  concerns a birthday, it describes wonderfully the intentions of my Shadow Cat ( he has a poetic soul):
The rain is slow.
The little birds are alive in it.
Even the beetles.
The green leaves lap it up.
What shall I do, what shall I do?



2 comments:

  1. your light
    is lovely..
    i don't have
    to look far :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. The play of light in your photos is mesmerizing, Milena. I've enjoyed them. Mary Oliver is a favorite of mine, too. She sees and writes simply of Life's profound moments.

    ReplyDelete